Carpe Diem, because YOLO!

This is the first piece I’ve ever written and there are just too many meandering thoughts in my head to pick one. Then I thought, what’s better than writing about than how unpredictable and chaotic our millennial life is. Life never fails to surprise you and it has its own special ways; none that we frail humans can decode the algorithm for anyway.

Little do you know when you step out of college that there’s a gruesome, unforgiving world waiting for you outside. Like Monica tells Rachel in F.R.I.E.N.D.S, “Welcome to the real world. It sucks. You’re gonna love it!” I went through my life pretty much the same way Rachel did, barring the “leaving the guy at the altar” or her being the fashion diva she is! Carefree and careless to say the least.



Like most of us are, I was the protected child who had no worries in life other than studying and getting good grades while growing up. The thing that they tell you about our worries seemingly becoming laughable in the future is legit. Now in the distant past, things that would bother me then seem passé.

We always hear that life isn’t fair and that there always needs to be a balance, but that leads me to think who decided this balance? From being the generation that listens to Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk about our future and seeing AI somehow become the forced reality, our algorithm-less life just subtly keeps surprising us to keep us grounded to the actual reality.

Life offers twists and turns that are hard to fathom, and at first, it always seems impossible to face. In the end, however, it all pans out just fine. I wonder how that is, because believing in the Almighty is just a very Generation X thing, to be honest. Then what is it?

The nerd in me wants to believe that I’ve already lived this life and in a promising future and have got my hands to a time machine where I am messing things around in my present from another dimension. Just for kicks! How cool would that be though, right? Interstellar-ish, mad theory, but I’d like to believe the possibilities are endless.
TIME TRAVEL ALRIGHT ALRIGHT ALRIGHT - Interstellar Cooper | Meme ...

But jokes aside, I do believe that we are all part of a greater plan and whatever happens to us is either for our betterment or for the good of the people around us. What is good for me, may not be good for others or what is bad for me now may turn out to be the best option in the larger scheme of things. Even the Mad Titan thought he was doing good by wiping off half the universe, was it the best idea though?



Closer to my life, I would have never been an independent soul if I hadn’t lost my father at an early age or I would have never understood the importance of investments if I wasn’t terrible at accounting. I often ponder though; would I turn out to be the same person I am today if life didn’t throw these curveballs at me? And I always end up with the same answer, absolutely NOT!

If not thrown in certain situations, as humans, we somehow become complacent with our lives. Most of us blame situations or people on how things work out, but that isn’t always true and somewhere deep down we all know that. We make choices that a lot of times aren’t thought through, but we deal with them anyway.



All I’m trying to get at is, life is the true teacher that serves us with the lessons that we need when we need them the most. These aren’t forced surprises but lessons and it is necessary to take them as they come. Because life, as we know it, always finds its way! So, to end with the most cliché thing ever, Carpe Diem, because You Only Live Once! 😉

Comments